Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Still Goin' Strong!!

It's been a while. Markedly due to travels to MI and further excitement in the land of Lakeland.

Highlights from the past several weeks:
*Homemade Salmon Burgers: Canned Salmon, Green Peppers, Onion, Bread Crumbs, & seasonings. Enjoyable, but very crumbly. They need more to hold them together. However, I question the quality of fish that comes out of a can in chunks. Is it worth this cheap form of protein?

*My mom was eager to buy me Veg products. I coached her on what to look for - so I could have faux meat patties while the family continues to consume saturated fats in the form of animal products. I pointed out that my least fave brand of burgers is Boca. She made a point to buy a box of Boca Vegan burgers. Ooops!

*My mom thought I still ate CHICKEN. Ummm No, no extra horomones for me, please.

*Mom did score on the MorningStar Farms Spicy Black Bean burgers, Yum Yum!!! And Morningstar Farms Chick Patties. Double Yumm again!!!!!!

*Fancy Family Style Dinner event at Amish Restaurant: I had the fore-thought to ask the server to bring me an extra salad with the meats. Then my dad passed the the mashed potatoes, looked me in the eye and asked: Can you eat these???
Yes Dad, Yes I can. Meeeeeeeeeat. It's meat I'm off.

*During said dinner, my parents, especially my father continuously looked at me asking: Are you Ok? Is this Ok? Hello plate filled to the brim with vegetables, potatoes, & noodles!!

*After this dinner, I believe I was among the few not feeling sick from over eating. (Although was considerably full as well.)

*Discovered store-bought Salmon Burgers at Aldi's. Bought two boxes. They are convienent and not too bad. But after eating 3, may need to take a break. I have an entire other box to get through.

*My new co-worker was telling me today about the joys of Chick-Fil-A chicken soup b/c I wasn't feeling well. I didn't have the energy or the heart to tell her I was a vegetarian. Ooops.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,

    I found your blog from a link from Bethany K and just wanted to give you a shout-out! I'm a fellow Calvinite from Michigan. I thought about going veg at the beginning of the summer but failed miserably for reasons you have mentioned...I was raised on meat and potatos, what else is there to eat! (My mom made the most amazing beef bourguignon last night.) After reading a few of your entries, I feel that I need to think about getting back on the wagon. And as a fellow 20-something trying to live up to my full potential as well, I look forward to keeping up with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Rachel!
    Yes, being raised in West Michigan really sets you up with a mindset about food that I have found to not always be so healthy. I'm glad that you can learn from me and would be happy to help answer any questions that you have.

    Have you seen the movie Julie & Julia?? The Beef Bourguignon pictured there made me want to go out and buy some beef. But honestly, the Chicken Over Mushroom sauce (one of Julie's first attempted recipes) made me Very. Seriously. reconsider the veg life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Actually that movie was the reason my sister requested the Beef Bourguignon for her going-away party (she's doing a semester in Mexico). That movie also made me think about just resigning myself to being an omnivore...there's just so much yummy stuff you can do with meat. But the cheese enchiladas I had at Beltline Bar were just fine...for tonight. ;)

    ReplyDelete