Thursday, July 23, 2009

Navigating the Theme Parks

Ok, folks, if I can be vegetarian in a theme park - where almost everything seems to be pre-prepared, cafeteria style dining, not catering to special requests - I think I can be vegetarian anywhere!!! (Well, not the Silver Ring Cafe'....)

Teacher friend and I went to Universal Studios today to cash in on our free summer teacher passes. As we started out, it was determined that food was a soon order of the day, and since it was early and much fun was yet to be had, we decided to try to take advantage of the Meal Deal (key word: tried). We bought this nifty little wrist band things for one price that allowed us to eat all day long - but only at three spots. (Not a big deal though, b/c we decided that if we could squeeze in 3 'meals' we'd definitely be getting a bargain).

Walking over to spot #1: Mel's Diner, I became apprehensive. What'll I eat? Drive In-esque Diners don't strike me as the Veggie burger type. Will I eat only Veggie Burgers all day long in the pursuit of survival?? While contemplating, I have to admit that the thought: Well, one or two burgers just this ONE time in this one inconvienent place wouldn't hurt THAT much....

But then came all of the associated thoughts: That is SO against why I'm doing this! What kind of a failure will I be?! If I cave now, I'll never recover. It's over.

So, wary of the food experience I entered Mel's. Scoped out the Menu. No Veggie Burger. Ho Hum. Mentally strategized and decided I could settle for the Grilled Chicken Salad minus chicken even thought it'd probably equal plain lettuce. But, the longer I stood there, the more creative my mind became and I was soon assembling a veggie sandwich out of condiments: extra cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onion...

So, by the time we made it up to Torrence to place our order, I batted my eyes, smiled sweetly and geared myself up to ask for special treatment. I started out with, "I need some help... I'm a vegetarian..." to which he interrupts me exclaiming "We have Veggie Burgers!"
I think he received the most possibly elated: "oh, you DO!!!!???"
Never in my life was I so happy to order a veggie burger. Mmmm Mmm Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Lupper was at the International Food something or other. I spotted a safe, but not too attractive Tuna Salad that I could handle. And then discovered the Egg Fried Rice and Steamed Vegetables with VEGGIE egg rolls! Score!! So yummy.

We never had room for Dinner (hah, wonder why...) But, alas, we were satisfied and still probably ate our money's worth on those stinkin' wrist bands based upon what they charge for dorm style food in amusement parks.



And so folks. If Stephanie can be Veg at Universal, I dare say that Steph can be Veg almost anywhere!

1 comment:

  1. You rock and I am proud of you that you stuck to your new lifestyle even at a theme park where it is hard to eat anything that is good for you. (So, I don't see becoming a vegetarian in my life anytime soon, but Joel and I were talking about this in the car and he told me that it would be way better for our eco system if all humans were vegetarians...but then he finished by saying that he likes meat too much to give it up. :))

    ReplyDelete